Friday Flowers: Gray Heirloom Pumpkin Terrarium and a Cinderella Pumpkin



Gray Heirloom Pumpkin Terrarium

There is so much to think about and plan for with Thanksgiving just around the corner and so {against my better judgement} I thought I would share one more post about creating a floral centerpiece using the pumpkin from your front porch, clippings from your garden and grocery store flowers. I presented a floral workshop at my garden club meeting last week and these are the final two arrangements I put together for that morning.

The first arrangement is an adorable miniature gray pumpkin planted with terrarium plants and a miniature orchid from Trader Joes. This could not have been easier and literally took me 10 minutes to create. Of course, the main ingredient, the little gray heirloom pumpkin is essential. 



Start by carving the pumpkin and scooping out all the insides. Fill the cavity with potting soil and add miniature terrarium plants. If you live locally, I bought my terrarium plants at House of Plants and the white orchid at Trader Joes.


Be sure to save the pumpkin top. It makes a charming accent to sit by the arrangement's side. I have been surprised that a lot of people did not think the pumpkin was real.

Everything looks more important on a pedestal. 



It's the perfect arrangement for the powder room. 


A Cinderella Pumpkin Arrangement

For the second arrangement, I selected a Cinderella Pumpkin and combined it with pink and orange roses with silver foliage from my garden. 

The Cinderella Pumpkin is a beautiful French heirloom pumpkin known as 'Rouge Vif d'Etampes'. It is the pumpkin variety that is recorded as the pumpkin prepared and served at the second Thanksgiving by the Pilgrims. It is a rich and beautiful orange and is known for its flat shape and pronounced ribs. I can see why Cinderella used it as a coach to get to the ball!

{Cinderella Pumpkin with Pink and Orange Roses}

{My Cinderella Pumpkin prepared and ready for the demonstration}

As I mentioned in previous posts, start by carving your pumpkin and scraping out the insides. I placed my pumpkin on an old hotel silver tray and added pine cones that I touched with a gold liquid leaf and a handful of moss. It is a good idea to place your pumpkin on a tray or platter since it is perishable.

Place a plastic container inside the cavity and fill with wet oasis floral foam.

Take a tour of your garden and clip greenery that complements the pumpkin and flowers that you have chosen. I liked the way the Lagustrom berries picked up the dark color variations in the pumpkin. I started the arrangement  by placing the berries around the perimeter so they would cascade over the sides. Next, I added the Elaeagnus and placed them so the back side of the foliage showed because it has a silvery cast. Add the roses in clusters of three. I added just a sprig or two of Bittersweet vine. 

{A shot in the "during" phase of assembling the arrangement during my demonstration at garden club}

{The refreshments have been cleared away but I thought you would like to see how the rich dark colors of the greenery in the arrangement complement the colors in the dining room.}



Photobucket
You have read this article Friday flowers / pumpkins / Thanksgiving with the title Friday Flowers: Gray Heirloom Pumpkin Terrarium and a Cinderella Pumpkin. You can bookmark this page URL http://porentreospingosdechuva.blogspot.com/2013/11/friday-flowers-gray-heirloom-pumpkin.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Friday Flowers: Gray Heirloom Pumpkin Terrarium and a Cinderella Pumpkin"

Post a Comment