The language of Doors. Part II

The interior door in my opinion is one of the most underutilized design elements in interior design. This spring, when looking for a few ways to update my interiors without spending a fortune, I decided to paint my interior doors a rich chocolate brown. I hired a moving company to come for an hour and rearranged the furniture; changed the lampshades; and re-styled my bookcases. I love the results! For your inspiration, I have selected some of my favorite photos of interior doors that speak to me. I hope you enjoy~

{Darryl Carter}

A reclaimed, vintage or antique door adds charm to an interior space. To add provenance to a newly constructed home consider adding old doors.


{Sally Wheat via Cote de Texas }

Again, these old doors from Sally Wheat interior design add vintage charm to a new interior. Consider how different this room would be without these doors. I would also assume that these doors are "working doors" and provide needed storage space for high tech electronics.


{image via Southern Accents}

I loved the color of these doors and the fact that they selected pairs of doors instead of the standard issue eight panel. I used these doors as inspiration for my color choice.

{image via Southern Accents}



Again, a dark brown door complements the traditional, European inspired decor of the entrance hall above.


Who says that interior doors have to be white? Look at the lovely color choice above!



I love these dramatic black doors. The image above is a good example of using interior painted doors as a modern design element in a more contemporary room setting.



I am looking for the appropriate room to introduce upholstered doors into my own home. I think they bring warmth and texture to a room, and I love the nailhead detail! I have seen them many times but had a difficult time finding a picture to share. I am pretty sure the above design is from Circa Interiors in Charlotte. It has all the trademarks of their signature style that I adore.



{image via John Saladino}

John Saladino takes the concept of upholstered interior doors a step further by covering the doors in soft leather. The subtle look above is well thought out and is all about tone-on-tone texture.


{image via Real Simple}

Now, for a more casual or coastal look, the blue door sets the "cottage" tone. I don't know what the rest of this house looks like but I can guess.


{image via Country Living}

A clever choice for a cottage kitchen! Inexpensive chalkboard paint turns a door into a message board adding both functionality and charm. I envision this door in a kitchen of a young, hip family. Although the interior is quiet simple, it speaks volumes!



The barn door is popping up in interiors everywhere, and I love it! I have noticed new barn doors like the ones above as well as vintage or old doors gaining in popularity. Barn doors might give you that rustic, natural look or a modern country aesthetic. The right choice might also catapult your look into 'loft' or 'industrial'. Think Restoration Hardware's new line from Bobo. Because of the way it slides on a track, a barn door might answer a design problem with renovating.


{image from Remodelista}


{image via West Elm}


{image from Barn Wood Naturals}


{Inspiration Point a.k.a. my desk}

Earlier this spring, I decided to shake things up around the home front and painted all my interior doors chocolate brown. Let's just say it took more than a little coercion to get my husband to go along with the plan. I choose Mink by Benjamin Moore in a satin finish oil paint. I love the way they turned out! My desk is just off the kitchen. Behind the apron clad brown door is my laundry room.
You have read this article with the title The language of Doors. Part II. You can bookmark this page URL http://porentreospingosdechuva.blogspot.com/2010/07/the-language-of-doors-part-ii.html. Thanks!

No comment for "The language of Doors. Part II"

Post a Comment