Day {1}: Of Santos Crowns, Linen & Velvet

{antique santos crowns from Sadie and Olive on etsy}

I fell in love with these unusual antique santos crowns from Sadie and Olive on etsy! Aren't they spectacular! A set of four, all handmade in a variety of different metals and ranging in size from 2.25" - 2.75" in diameter. They reminded me of a project I started many years ago, a handmade advent calendar that featured little antique baubles and religious charms. I was inspired to create such a wonderful family heirloom after I saw the photo below from the book Vintage Treasures by Jane Cassini and Ann Brownfield.



The idea of a handmade advent calendar appealed to me on so many levels. I love the idea of creating something together with my daughter using pretty old things. Several years ago, I took my daughter along during my annual outing to the local antique show. I sent her on a treasure hunt to find little religious and Christmas inspired charms. We came home with a little gold baby ring, an antique chandelier crystal, a stray lamb from a nativity, a gold tassel and few other interesting old things. I planned to use some nubby linen to cover the board and velvet ribbon to adorn the edge secured with french upholstery tacks. I pulled some of my favorite passages from scripture to have a calligrapher inscribe on a few of the tags...and, well, that is as far as I got. So maybe this year, I will pull out this old project and make it a reality!



If you would like to create such a lovely family heirloom, my advice to you is to savor its creation. Don't try to finish it in a day or even this Christmas season. This year make the advent calendar itself. Cover the calendar in a beautiful piece of linen, trim it with velvet ribbon and make the tags. If you have a special, small family baby collectible, make that your day {1}. Then, over the years, with your children fill the calendar with handmade or personal little 'things'. Inscribe the tags with meaningful scripture or little prayers or your favorite holiday memories.
Photobucket
You have read this article with the title Day {1}: Of Santos Crowns, Linen & Velvet. You can bookmark this page URL http://porentreospingosdechuva.blogspot.com/2010/12/day-1-of-santos-crowns-linen-velvet.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Day {1}: Of Santos Crowns, Linen & Velvet"

Post a Comment