Beautiful Old Things


{Antiques from Brian Kelley, Atlanta}


Paint. Strip. Guild. Reupholster. Refurbish. Repurpose. These are the verbs that generally follow a successful trip to the flea market. When my husband and I were first married, he was a little 'unexperienced' in what would walk in the door following a glorious afternoon at the flea market. His comments generally came in the form of a question "Why is it that you can not come home with something that is plug and play?" {as in buy it and put it in the house!} No DIY, No found objects, No basement purgatory!

After twenty years of marriage and living with a house full of flea market treasures, he has become experienced in what it means for me to spend the day at the flea market. For those of us that are collectors and creatives, a trip to the market is more about the experience, the hunt and discovery and finding something that was lost and making it new again.

My husband has actually become quiet fond of all our little treasures and doesn't really like it when I trade in an old favorite or collection for the pursuit of a new. I loved reading about David Easton's famous New York country home, Balderbrae, recently on Cote de Texas. A VERY interesting post from Joni at Cote de Texas reported that when he decided to sell his famous country home he also sold everything, literally everything, in the home at auction and to start a new in his New York city apartment. All his treasured collections and one-of-a-kind antiques ~ SOLD! I found that intriguing! Again, I think collecting is more about the creative pursuit and inner desire to create and nurture something old or forgotten. The pleasure is in the pursuit, the acquisition, the vignette and then it is on to the next thing.

My only question for David Easton is "What did he keep?"

{David Easton's famous New York country home}

Anyhoooo, onto my day at the flea market and undiscovered pretty old things! Here are a few of the things that made me covet, intrigued me or that I simply found charming...


For many, many, many years I have wanted to start a collection of old wooden hat forms. My inspiration came from a lovely house in New Orleans featured in Southern Accents many years ago. Her collection was displayed on the wall around a window seat. I think I remember reading that the house burned to the ground shortly after the magazine shoot. Does anyone else remember that interior?


A display from my fav ~ Cherry Orchard Antiques {Hi Liz} The hat forms are from Cherry Orchard as well.




Sigh!


old red ticking by the yard


stacks of french grain sacks...a few made the trip home with me!









old hotel keys from around the world



I literally stayed and looked at these hotel keys for over an hour. They were expensive or I would have bought all the ones in these photos. I'm really not sure what I would have done with them once I brought them home. Everyone that passed wanted to hold them and browse through the pile.


Intriguing...old Mason's metals and sashes


Pretty little pillows just waiting for a seamstress.


Okay...so by now you know I have a thing for dovecotes, birds and all things blue!


{Splurge Design, Asheville}

Oh! Christmas Tree in driftwood. Swoon!


loh~ving!


wagon wheels in living color


vintage trim


vintage buttons


Someones weekend folly...shooting at the weather vane! Again, I like old things that tell a story, no words needed!

{Tusk Old World}

I would love to show you what I came home with but I haven't photographed it yet. It's all a work in progress, bits and pieces, in need of my nurturing and inspiration. You'll have to wait and see how a few old french fragments will soon to be part of my Christmas decorations, an old water guilded frame meets its new purpose and an engraved silver trinket marries a six pack of beer for a Christmas hostess gift! Stay tuned. To be continued!



I should also mention that David Easton has a new book 'Timeless Elegance: The Houses of David Easton'. I plan to add it to my wish list. Dear Publishers, Please stop putting out such delicious books! My wish list is starting a second page. Your design addicted friend, Allison

You have read this article Beautiful Old Things / Metrolina with the title Beautiful Old Things. You can bookmark this page URL http://porentreospingosdechuva.blogspot.com/2010/11/beautiful-old-things.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Beautiful Old Things"

Post a Comment